Focaccia Sandwich


I saw this in Jamie Oliver's Meals in Minutes.  We didn't love the rest of the meal, but my elder son, told me to make this again!  I thought he wouldn't like it!  I made my own focaccia, since I couldn't find any, at the store. 
I also made sliced mozzarella with pesto on top.  His recipe calls for you to make the pesto.  I had a jar in the fridge. 


Ingredients
  • 1 x 400g focaccia loaf
  • 1 x 450g jar of peppers
  • 1 tsp capers, drained
  • 6 sun-dried tomatoes in oil
  • 1 fresh red chili pepper (I shook some dried on it.)
  • 2 tomatoes, chopped up
  • 3 or 4 cornichons
  • Small bunch of fresh mint
  • ½ a lemon
  • Parmesan cheese, for grating
Method
  1. Put the focaccia into the oven to warm for around 15 minutes.
  2. Put the jarred peppers, capers, sun-dried tomatoes, the red chili, tomatoes and cornichons on a chopping board.
  3. Pick the leaves from the mint.
  4. Finely slice the chili, then chop and slice all the filling ingredients together on the board and sweep into a bowl.
  5. Add a lug of extra virgin olive oil, squeeze over the juice of the lemon, then scrunch and mix together with your hands.
  6. Take the focaccia out of the oven. Carefully halve it across the middle with a sharp serrated bread knife and open it like a book.
  7. Spread the pickle filling over the bottom half, drizzle over any juices left behind in the bowl, and finely grate over a good layer of Parmesan.
  8. Put the top on the sandwich and take it to the table.

Comments