Very Full Tart

I got this recipe from a vegetarian cookbook, I just received, called Plenty.  I was so excited to try this recipe, and I was not disappointed! It was delicious, filling (I served it with chicken breast, for the guys.), and even yummy the next day!  I made it a little easier, to make.  Below, is my version.

Very Full Tart

Serves 4-6
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
6 Tablespoons olive oil
1 medium eggplant, cut into 2-inch dice (I omitted this, as my husband says he is allergic to eggplant.)
Salt and pepper
1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice
1 small zucchini, cut into 1-inch dice
2 medium onions, thinly sliced (I only used 1, and my crust overflowed with veggies!)
11-inch pie crust (Mine was a whole wheat pre-made crust, from Sprouts.)
A few shakes of dried thyme
1/3 cup ricotta
4 ounces feta
7 cherry tomatoes, halved
2 medium eggs
1 cup heavy cream

Directions
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Chop sweet potato, coat lightly with oil, and place on baking sheet, and put into hot oven.  Remove seeds and stems from peppers, chop, and place on same baking sheet as potatoes. Mix with sweet potatoes and get it coated with the oil.

Mix eggplant in a bowl with 4 tablespoons olive oil and spread on a large baking pan in the oven beneath the peppers. (If using.)

Chop zucchini and add zucchini and roast for 10-12 more minutes. Remove all vegetables, including the peppers, from the oven and reduce temperature to 325 degrees.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Saute onions with some salt for about 20 minutes until they caramelize. Set aside.

Lightly grease a 9-inch tart pan and roll out pie crust to fit. Line the dough with parchment paper and pie weights or dry beans. (I don't have a tart pan, and I don't make pastry dough.  Stick your pre-made crust in the oven and bake it.) Bake for 30 minutes, then remove parchment and weights. Continue baking for 10 more minutes or until crust turns golden. Remove from oven and cool slightly.
Scatter cooked onion over bottom of crust and top with roasted vegetables, evenly spread. Scatter with dried thyme. Next, dot with chunks of both cheeses and then with halved tomatoes, cut-side up.
Whisk eggs and cream in a bowl with salt and pepper. Carefully pour this mixture into the tart. Scatter more thyme on the top if you want. Place in oven and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until filling sets and top has turned golden. Remove from oven and allow to rest for ten minutes before serving.

Comments