Salted Caramel Cupcakes



I wanted a salted caramel cake, for my birthday.  I realized that there was no "Cake Fairy" who was going to make/buy it for me, so my younger son and I decided to make these.  I used a boxed cake mix.
Ingredients:
box cake mix (or your favorite yellow/white cake recipe)
1 egg
1/4 c oil (I used coconut.)
3/4 c water
salted caramel sauce (or caramel sauce, and add a few pinches of coarse salt)
whipped cream (I whipped my own, and only added a bit of powdered sugar.  I didn't want the caramel and the cream to make the cupcake too sweet.)

Make cake batter, and pour into cupcake liners.  Bake according to package directions.  I baked mine at 325F, for 30 minutes.
If you don't have a fancy pan that will leave holes in your cupcakes, when the cupcakes are done, and cool, cut out a hole in the top, for the caramel.
Spoon the caramel into the holes. Place the caramel into the holes, when the cupcakes have cooled.
Place whipped cream on the cupcakes.  I used a piping bag, with a fancy tip.  

Comments