New England Clam Chowder

My boys asked me for clam chowder, the other day.  So, I found a crockpot version.  It was SO easy, to make, and I copied it straight from here.  (Well, I omitted the bacon, and added the carrots, and used veggie broth.) My husband said it was "good", unsolicited, and the boys devoured it.  We decided it needed more clams.  I might add another can, next time.


1 (6.5-ounce) can minced clams, drained (maybe a second can?)
5 small red potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1 onion, peeled and diced
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup diced carrots
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 cups vegetable broth
2 cups half-and-half (or you could use heavy cream)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (to add later)
 
We ate this with oyster crackers.



The Directions.

Add clams. Add all the vegetables and spices and pour in the broth. Cover, and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or until the onion is translucent and the potatoes squish easily with a fork.
Use a hand-held stick blender and pulse a few times to naturally thicken the soup. Stir in half and half and shredded cheese.

Comments