Stuffed Cabbage


I was in the mood to make stuffed cabbage. Some comfort food. After browsing a few different recipes, here's what I came up with, hoping it would taste like the kind I remember from my childhood. It's the perfect blend of sweet and sour. I like this served with mashed potatoes.

1 large head of cabbage
1 lb. ground beef (I used 12 oz of fake meat.)
1/2 cup cooked rice (I used brown, it was what I had...)
1/2 onion, grated
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
1 can (28 oz.) tomato sauce
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
Raisins (optional)(I didn't add these, as I don't love raisins, but it adds to the sweet/sour flavor this is going for.)

Directions:

Remove core from cabbage and cover cabbage with boiling water; let stand 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, mix ground beef, 1/2 of the onion, 1T of the tomato paste, salt and pepper.

Drain cabbage and carefully remove 12 large leaves. Place a heaping tablespoon of meat mixture on each leaf. Tuck in the sides and rollup cabbage leaves. If necessary, fasten ends with a toothpick.

Combine remaining tomato paste, what's left of the onion, and the can of tomato sauce. Heat over low heat, covered, until you are done rolling the rolls.

Shred remaining cabbage and place on the bottom of a heavy saucepan. Carefully place cabbage rolls on shredded cabbage. Pour sauce over cabbage rolls.

Cover and simmer over low heat 1 hour. Uncover, pour a mixture of brown sugar and vinegar over all, and simmer 30 minutes.

Comments