Melting Snowman Cookies
















I first saw these, on this website: The Decorated Cookie
Then I saw a link to a copycat website: Truly Custom Cakery
So, here's our version, of the 2!
Ingredients:
cookie dough
mini M&Ms
large marshmallows
black gel icing
icing pens
Fruit by the Foot
orange Tic Tacs
frosting

Cookies:
You can take your favorite roll out cookie recipe, and make these, and cut out blob shapes, OR you can buy 2 rolls of sugar cookie dough (I was short on time!), and cut them into 3/4in thick slices. This made 19 cookies.
"Frosting:
Note: This frosting is similar to royal icing, but I add shortening and flavoring to make it taste delicious. Thus, it dries hard enough to handle and pack when left overnight, but not rock hard, like traditional royal icing. The consistency is NOT the runny kind used for flooding. It's stiffer. Take a spoonful, turn it over the bowl. The frosting should cling to the spoon and slowly fall into the bowl. That's the right consistency.
4 tblsp meringue powder (available at many supermarkets and in most craft stores)
1/2 cup water
6-7 cups confectioner's sugar (may need more or less, see the consistency advice above)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup Crisco
Whip the meringue powder and water on high speed for a long time, several minutes, until it's fluffy and peaks form (use an electric hand beater or the wire whisk of your standing mixer). Gradually add the rest of the ingredients to desired consistency. Store at room temperature in a sealed container for up to a month." (I didn't use this to edge the cookies, so I added the extra water, and made it more runny to pour and spread it out.)





I didn't buy any white food gel, so when I put the vanilla in, it tinted it an off white color. I didn't know how to make them match the marshmallows, until my genius son suggested I dip the marshmallows into the frosting!





On one batch, I pierced the marshmallow, with a knfe, then dipped it, then put the tic tac in. On another batch, I dipped it, let it harden, for an hour, then pierced it, and stuck the tic tac in. It looks nicer this way, but the other one stays in better.

The Beasties did the ones in the top photo.

Comments