Mandelbrot

This is my grandmother's recipe. I even made this a few times, in college, to rave reviews! I think people like it because it's not a very sweet cookie. I like it because it's easy.
Mandelbrot means "almond bread" in German. I like mine with slivered almonds, but I have had it with walnuts.


Mandelbrot
Ingredients
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup crisco (I use butter)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup slivered almonds
8 oz. chocolate chips
Directions
Preheat oven to 350°F. Place eggs in the bowl of an electric mixer, add sugar, butter, and vanilla. After mixed, add flour, baking powder, and mix on low speed until incorporated. Add almonds and chocolate chips, and mix just until incorporated. Dough will still be slightly sticky.
Spray two cookie sheets with cooking spray, or lightly grease with oil. Wet hands lightly, and form half of dough into a loaf and place on cookie sheet. Repeat with other half dough. Bake 35-40 minutes, or until loaves are browned and firm, but still slightly soft when pressed.
Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Remove to a cutting board. Using a bread knife, slice loaves into ¾-inch thick slices.

Comments