New York Style Apple Pie



I found this recipe, many years ago, while living, in Norway. We had an abundance of apples, from our apple trees, and I needed to use up applesauce I was making, and all of those apples! I would make the filling, in large batches, and freese them in gallon sized zip lock bags, and defrost them when I wanted to make the pie. All I had to do was make the nut pastry!
This is an open faced pie, and is delicious!

Baked in a spring-form pan, this nut-crusted, open-faced pie is as easy to make as it is delicious.

New York Style Apple Pie


Nut Pastry (recipe follows)
5 cups peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped apples

1/2 cup raisins (I use dried cranberries.)

1/2 cup chopped almonds

1/2 cup applesauce

1/4 cup granulated sugar

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon salt


Heat oven to 400°F (205°C).
Prepare Nut Pastry. Pat pastry into bottom and 1 inch up sides of 9-inch springform pan. Bake 10 minutes.
In large bowl, combine apples, raisins (I use dried cranberries), nuts, applesauce, sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Transfer mixture to pastry-lined pan.
Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until apples are tender. Serve warm.
Makes 10 servings.


Nut Pastry: In medium bowl with electric mixer, beat together 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened and 1/2 cup granulated sugar until blended. Add 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup chopped nuts, and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, mixing just until combined. Form dough into a ball; refrigerate if not using immediately.

Comments