Back to School!

So, I was telling Amy about chatting with a friend about how I pack (and organize) school lunches for the boys, and she told me to blog it. Here's what I pack them:
*sandwich or crackers or pita
-I pack 2 days worth on Sunday and on Tuesday, and put these and the veggies in a shoebox sized container, in the fridge, so I just grab the stuff I need in the morning
-sandwiches are tuna or turkey
-if I don't do a sandwich, I pack tuna salad (or hummus, chicken salad, hard boiled egg, or turkey slices) in a container and give them a baggie of crackers or pita chips, or pita bread

*applesauce or fresh fruit
-I get the pre packaged applesauce with no sugar added
-either slice up, or send whole a plum, apple, peach, or nectarine (bananas would "get brown" and thrown in the trash)

*dried fruit or"candy"
- either small packages of raisins, or baggies of craisins
-by "candy" I mean the fruit snacks (I only buy the 100% vitamin C ones-Kelloggs brand makes these)

*veggies
-on Sunday nights I pack up 8 baggies of these, 1 for each boy for 4 days of school, and on Friday, they buy their lunch as a treat (I use carrots, and broccoli or fresh green beans or sugar snap peas)

*cheese or yogurt
-usually string cheese, sometimes I'll cube cheddar or monterey jack
-I'll buy those yogurts in a tube (usually Gogurt, sometimes the Horizon brand), and freeze them. This way, they're an ice pack to keep the other stuff cool, and they stay cold until lunchtime)

*drink (1 or 2)
- Minute maid has a Fruit Falls that is water based with a splash of juice, and no high fructose corn syrup (I can't find this at Wal Mart, but I do find it at Kroger)
-Horizon brand reduced fat milk comes in a small individual size that doesn't need to be refrigerated, until you open it! Sam's has these for about 80 cents per milk (18 pack), and when you buy a 3 pack at Kroger, they're usually $1 per box
-half pint or thermos of water

*treat
-granola bar
-chips
-muffin/cupcake/cookie (home made)

I bought them some thermoses (sp?) so I'll send them with warm stuff/leftovers sometimes.
There's nothing cute, here, just thought it might be helpful.

Comments