Lemon Curd Cupcakes


When life gives you lemon curd, make cupcakes! (Okay, or "When you have leftover lemon curd in the 'fridge, make some cupcakes.".)
My cousin is in town, and we're grilling, tonight. I thought this would be a fun recipe, all the boys love lemon, and it would help me rid myself of the whipping cream, and the lemon curd in my 'fridge.
From the Cake Mix Doctor (with my notes), her recipe makes mini ones, but I just made regular sized ones.
Lemon Curd Cupcakes

Cupcakes:
1 box lemon cake mix (I had a white mix, in the pantry, so I dumped in a 3 oz. box of lemon gelatin.)
1/ 1/3 cups water
1/3 cup lemon curd
1/3 cup applesauce
3 large eggs

Lemony Cream:
1 cup whipping cream, chilled
1 tbsp confectioner’s sugar
1/3 lemon curd

Heat oven to 350ยบ. Line cupcake pans with cupcake liners. Mix the cake mix, water, lemon curd, oil and eggs in a large mixing bowl, following the directions on the cake mix box. Spoon or scoop into pans, filling 2/3rds full.
Bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes for regular size cupcake and 15 to 20 for the mini cupcakes. Remove plans from oven and place pans on wire rack to cool for 5 minutes. Then take the cupcakes out the pan carefully and let cool in the rack until completely cool.

Lemony Cream
Place bowl and beaters in the freezer for a few minutes, then pour the cream into the chilled bowl and beat with a mixer on high speed until the cream has thickened. Stop beating and add the sugar. Beat again until stiff peaks form. With a spatula, gently fold in the lemon curd. Use right away or chill for up to 8 hours before using.
Frost cupcakes with the lemony cream covering the top of the cupcake completely. Top with slivered strawberries or raspberries or blueberries if desired. (Candied lemon peel would be great...but I have never made that...yet...)
Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Makes 24 regular cupcakes or 4 dozen mini cupcakes.

Comments