German Cake (Amy's way...)


My friend, Amy, cooks soooo opposite, from me! She veers waaayyyyyy off of a recipe where as, I may tweak here and there, I'm not as courageous as she!

Here's her German Cake:

TPHE’s Guest Post
Also Titled:
Why you should get the TPHE to cook for you (did you you try her PB frosting? YUM!)
I needed to bring a dessert to a friend’s house tonight. I had a German Chocolate Cake Mix, but only 2 eggs. So I mixed the cake mix, 2 eggs, 1/3 of a cup of apple sauce, a splash of oil (since I was missing an egg), 1 cup of water, ¼ cup of Godiva Chocolate Liquor, and 3 small hand fulls of mini Semi Sweat Morsels. I put it in a Bundt pan and baked it up.
For the icing I used: 1 can of sweetened Cond. Milk, ½ can of almond milk (I just poured it into the SCM can), a splash of Almond flavoring, a pat of butter, and a squeeze of Dark Corn Syrup. I am adding toasted coconut, crushed toasted almonds and chocolate sprinkles to that after I boil it down to something like caramel. Reserve part of your additions for the topping. Bring to a boil then lower to a simmer, stirring often. I tossed in a hand full of bittersweet choc. chips to make it a darker color. I turned off the heat when it go to “ball stage” (I put the spoon over a cup of cold water and see if the splatters make balls in the water). After it had cooled a little I added 1 cup of powdered sugar to stiffen it.
Let the cake and icing cool thoroughly. I put a tea towel over the cake as it cooled to hold in the moisture. Drizzle icing over cake then sprinkle with toppings. Fill the inside of the Bundt ring with the left over icing. It will ooze like a volcano of sugary goodness when you cut it.
My hubby said the cake was good, but would probably be better after sitting in the fridge for a day. The friends had no complaints and were impressed that I made a cake. The cake turned out very moist. It was very sweet.

Comments