Passover Potato Knishes with Carmelized Onions

It's Passover time! This is the time, that I scour books and the internet for breadless recipes, to enjoy! I found this one, in a book, that my mother gave me. Passover Cookery by Joan Kekst. These were so good, tht they didn't even taste like "Passover food"! I'd make them again, after Passover, even! They reminded me more of a pierogie than a knish, though.

Passover Potato Knishes with Carmelized Onions
cooking spray
1 heaping cup mashed potatoes (I used Hungry Jack instant. Not sure if they're Kosher for Passover, but I didn't have time to make real ones)
1/3 c matzoh meal
4 T potato starch, divided
2 egg whites
salt and pepper to taste
1 egg white
3T matzoh meal
1 c caramelized onions
2T roasted garlic

Preheat oven to 375F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
In a bowl, combine mashed potatoes, matzoh meal, 2 T potato starch and egg whites. Knead together until firm. Season with salt and pepper. Dust the counter and hands with potato starch. Divide dough into 8 disks (I got 9 out of these.).
Combine onions with garlic.
Place 1 t onion filling onto each round. Fold over and press together firmly.
Brush knishes with a beaten egg white. Place onto prepared baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes per side. Serve hot topped with any remaining onion mixture (I didn't have any. We ate them with mustard.) . Vary the fillings with other vegetables, if you like.

I forgot to take a picture. I will the next time I make these.

Comments