Fajita Night!


I stopped trying to make fajitas, at home, when my husband told me (many years ago) that he liked them from the restaurant better. I got this new recipe, from a book Ace bought me (Southwestern Cooking by Jo Richardson) for some occasion or another, and decided to try it. It was a hit!


Chicken Fajitas (modified by me)

8 T olive oil

6 T honey

2 T red wine vinegar

4 garlic cloves, crushed

4 t dried oregano

salt and pepper

4 skinless boneless chicken breasts

1 red pepper (cut into strips)

2 zucchini (cut into strips)

2 yellow squash (cut into strips)

1 onion (cut in half moons)

8 flour tortillas (warmed)


Place first 6 ingredients into a small bowl. Mix together.

Pour half of the marinade over the chicken in one baking dish. In another baking dish place the veggies, and pour the marinade over them. Marinate, in the refrigerator, for 2-3 hours, stirring, turning over occasionally.

Bake chicken (or grill it), until cooked through. When cooked, take out of the oven and let sit for 10 minutes. Then, slice them, or shred them, for the fajitas.

Bake (or grill) the veggies (I like to do them at 400 degreesF for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so.).

Serve the chicken and veggies in a warm tortilla. We like to put sour cream on them, and I like guacamole and jalapenos. My husband likes to use the refried beans as "glue" on his, too.



Lime Cilantro Rice

Cook 4 servings as per rice package directions.

In the water, I add 1 T lime juice per every serving.

I chopped a handful of cilantro fresh from my neighbor's garden and tossed it in, as the rice was absorbing the liquid.

I also added 1 t salt

Comments